Thursday, April 18, 2013

Wine 101: White Port


Today, Lawrenceville Wine Manager Brandon Bartfalvi discusses White Port.

I sat back today and drifted into a daydream of Portugal in August. I was there this past summer and l sorely miss those hot summer days and the breeze blowing off the Douro. As I sat there reminiscing I realized I couldn't quite be there but I could stir some warm memories. So, I went to the wine rack and bar area in my kitchen and put together my favorite summer drink (that I found on that wonderful Portugal trip). Today as I lounged around I sipped on White Port and Tonics. Yes, white Port!

Simply put, White Port is made from indigenous white grape varieties that tend to be higher in acidity. The grapes are crushed in concrete foudres (sometimes by foot, sometimes mechanically) then spend a short maceration (skin contact) time. During fermentation, the process is halted by the addition of grape spirits (brandy). The style of White Port can range from very sweet to bone dry according to the how much sugar the producer chooses to leave in the wine. The Port was traditionally aged in wood, giving the wine more complexity and a slightly nutty flavor. Some producers forgo the wood aging and mature the wine in steel tanks or concrete vats. This type of aging produces Ports that are lighter and more fruit forward.

White Ports can be enjoyed on their own and tend to be a great alternative to Lillet or other aperitifs. I love making cocktails with this type of Port and the variations are endless but here is my simple recipe and a couple of alternatives.

White Port and Tonic

-4 oz Tonic Water
-2 oz White Port (Osborne White Port works wonderfully)
-Lemon slice

Fill a highball glass with ice. Pour in the tonic water and then,the White Port. Stir gently. Squeeze the lemon slice into the drink and drop lemon in. Enjoy!

Variation 1: Before adding the ice, muddle a few mint leaves in the bottom of the glass then follow the rest of the directions.
Variation 2: Instead of lemon try different fruits such as lime or ripe peach.

To keep with tradition, keep a bowl of salted almonds close by!! Enjoy and think of warm summer evenings!

No comments:

Post a Comment