Friday, April 29, 2011

Fork and Gobble It: The Honeymoon Hasn't Even Begun



I'm a late bloomer. I found my career late, my spouse late, now I'm taking my honeymoon late. But just like career and spouse, I'm doing this right. This isn't going to be one of those pre-designed resort getaways to a Caribbean island version of an adult Disneyland. No way Jose, we're going back to the Motherland, back to Italy. Specifically, we're off to Tuscany.

I met Jens Schmidt in 2004 at his Villa in a little town called Colle Val d'Elsa just outside of Sienna. His company, Montecastelli Selections was putting on an open house at the villa to highlight all the producers of wine and food products his company exports. I was to be his guest as I was also a customer. Upon my arrival there the first thing I wanted to do was cook dinner for my host. This endeared me to he and his wife instantly. An impromtu meal of fresh Dorado (a small white fleshed fish) cevishe, grilled sausages, and ratatouille followed along with many bottles of wine. I never forgot the beauty of that villa and I swore I would get back there someday.

So here we are seven years later and I'm married to a woman who loves food and wine as much as I do and I know exactly where I want to go with her for our honeymoon.

As with everything I do, this would not be a typical honeymoon. The villa is so beautiful and so beautifully situated, that it would be easy just to do nothing but eat and drink locally. That would suit me perfectly but my wife has other ideas. A compromise would have to be found. A visit to Florence to see Michelangelo's David is in order. I also remembered reading many years ago about a trattoria there called Garga owned by a husband and wife who served inventive and delicious food. He, Giuliano Gargani, cooks up dishes like Veal Scallopine with Avocado in Truffle Cream while Verdi blairs from the open kitchen. I was relieved to find that they are still there and I booked a dinner reservation immediately. I can't wait to see the dining room vividly painted by local artists and taste the food I'd read about.

A visit to a wine estate would also have to be planned. La Rasina in Montalcino, makes wonderful Brunellos, (we carry them in the store) and is easily reachable by car. I booked us a visit to see the vineyards and tour the winery. The operations there are currently under the supervision of a third generation family member, Marco Mantengoli. He is an affable, and energetic young man who I had met on my first visit to Montecastelli. I look forward to meeting him again. His wines are excellent and receive consistent good press from the Wine Advocate and the Wine Spectator.

On Jens's recommendation we will also lunch at a two star Guide Michelin restaurant right there in Colle Val d'Elsa. Arnolfo is run by Gaetano and Giovanni Trovato, the former being the Chef and his brother being the Sommelier. The food is local, sustainable, whimsically presented in great detail, and I expect ... delicious.

I expect of course for all this sacrifice and compromise to have my share of doing splendid nothing. And I will cook for my host again. It will be like completing a circle for me.

Look for complete reports in two weeks. Until then ... Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment