Thursday, April 28, 2011

What's Brandon Drinking?


Today's Thursday blog is authored by Brandon Bartfalvi, Wine Manager of the Lawrenceville store.

As a wine manager I consistently get asked the same question: What have you been drinking lately? This seems like an easy question but then I realize that I try several different wines (sometimes on a daily basis) but tasting wines and drinking wines are two different creatures. I sample quite a few different wines each week but I only have so much time on my hands so I have to pick a few to drink at home. This isn't an easy process but it's not difficult either. Sometimes I want a wine I can sit and enjoy on its own and take my time thinking about it and analyzing it. Other nights I want something simple and easy that I can enjoy after a long day while other times I need something to pair with a specific dish. Hmmm, maybe it's a little harder than I thought! Well, I have included a small list with a few of the wines that I have been enjoying at home over the past few weeks. This is my answer to the aforementioned question: This is what I have been drinking lately (and yes, I have been drinking a lot of Spanish wines lately)! I'll try to update this list once a month so my clients can keep track of what I've been sampling (don't be surprised if you see some beers or liquors in the near future). If you have any questions or want to see some of my picks don't forget to check out my GREATEST HITS at jcanals.com!

Willi Haag Brauneberger Juffer Riesling Spatlese 2009
This has been my favorite Riesling in the past two months. A rich, ripe style offering honeyed fruit notes supported by laser-like acidity. Notes of ripe peach, melon and apricot highlight this flavor-packed wine. Don't be afraid to lay this down for several years and let it evolve.

Luna Beberide Finca la Cuesta Bierzo 2008
Once I tasted this wine I knew I had to bring it in. A deep, intense red sourced from sixty year old Mencia vines. The nose reveals aromas of ripe blackberries, spice, smoke and earth with these same notes echoing on the palate. A full-bodied wine that is ripe, smooth and complex with well-integrated tannins and good acidity masked by lush, dark fruit flavors.

Kathryn Kennedy Lateral 2007
Try this wine tonight! A beautiful nose of cherry, spice, raspberry and a light chocolate note. A forward style that is smooth and approachable with flavors of lush red berries, savory spice and a vanilla whisper on the finish. A seamless wine that is seductive and hard to resist. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Bodegas Maurodos Prima Toro 2008
A wonderful wine at a remarkable price! A gorgeous nose of blackberry, cedar, spice and a touch of chocolate. The palate reveals these same notes with a juicy dark fruit component dominating. Well-structured and a pleasure to drink over the next few years.

Frank Family Cabernet Sauvignon Napa 2007
Where have you been my love?! I have recently tasted this wine and have fallen in love. This is what 2007 Napa Cab should taste like. A complex offering that reveals flavors of blueberry, cassis and spice. A seamless offering showing depth and concentration with no hard edges and the ability to age for over a decade.

Cooralook Shiraz 2007
If you're looking for a great Shiraz for under $15 then consider buying a case of this wine. Not the typical heavy fruit style! This offers notes of blackberry and spice with a nice dose of black pepper on the fine finish. Great acidity keeps the ripe fruit in check while the spice character really kicks into high gear on the finish. A fresh style of Shiraz.

San Roman Toro 2006
This is drinking so well right now despite its youth. Dark fruit flavors along with notes of tar and chocolate caress the palate. Spice and earth flavors emerge with a little time. Good lush fruit with fresh acidity and well-integrated tannins highlight this delightful wine. A must try!

St Innocent Pinot Noir Villages Cuvee 2009
A wonderfully fresh Pinot that is a great value for under $30. With all the hype around the 2008 vintage, consumers may overlook the strong 2009 vintage. While this may not have the ripeness of the '08, the 2009 will appeal to true Pinot lovers. The palate delivers flavors of cherry and dusty spice with an alluring freshness. Pure red fruit flavors and a mouthwatering finish. Drink this now while the 2008's are ageing.

Arrocal Ribera del Duero 2007
A wonderful value from Spain! Brooding, dark fruit on the nose with a fair amount of vanilla and spice notes. The dark fruit and vanilla character carries through to the palate and picks up additional savory spice flavors. The wine is drinking well right now but will be even better with a little bottle age.

Pico Cuadro Ribera del Duero 2007
Wow! A sleek, opulent wine that overdelivers for the price. Aromas of espresso, chocolate and tobacco and blackberries. The palate contains these same notes with additional flavors of vanilla-oak and spice. The finish is long and tinged with pure dark raspberry flavors. You can drink this now or save it for several more years.

Domaine Lafage Cote Est 2009
A tasty blend of Grencache Blanc, Marsanne and Chardonnay. This is a fun white that is perfectly suited for the upcoming warm weather. The nose reveals notes of white flowers, melon, lemon and minerals (think chalk). The medium-bodied palate echoes these same notes while picking up a pear/ apple note. Crisp acidity keeps the wine fresh and lively.

Tikal Patriota 2008
An outstanding nose of blackberry, chocolate, coffee and leather. The palate is rich but not heavy with flavors of dark berries, leather, cassis, cocoa and a mineral note. Bright dark berry notes and vanilla are evident on the lengthy finish. There is good acidity and polished tannins providing structure to this rich effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment